Hello and welcome to Best Phone Spy Reviews. My name is Jack Gillman and I’ve been in the spy software industry for almost 9 years. Over the years, I’ve tested quite a few cell phone spy apps, including mSpy, FlexiSPY, Mobile Spy, MobiStealth and Highster Mobile. I even used my credit card to pay for them – so you know which ones are the best spy apps.
Spy apps can be used to track a person without their knowledge. Worried about what your kids are up to on the internet? You could install a spy app on their smartphones. These apps let you monitor their social media, read their text messages, track their whereabouts, and even record their calls. All recorded data is stored online, so you can access it from anywhere.
5 Best Spy Apps for iPhone and Android
There are a lot of spy apps available for Android and iOS, but only a few are worth your time. I’ve tested more than 50 apps to help you pick the right one for your needs. Without further ado, here are the five best spy apps available right now:
Important: Every app listed below is 100% undetectable – the app runs in the background without the user’s knowledge. I personally tested all of them. They work great!
#1 – mSpy (Best Spy App for iPhone)
mSpy is one of the most popular cell phone monitoring apps with over one million users. It’s very easy to use. All you have to do is install the mSpy app on the target phone (the phone you are monitoring), then activate it using your license code. Once that’s done, you’ll be able to monitor the phone’s activity remotely through the mSpy online portal.
Once mSpy is activated, you can log in to the online portal to access information collected from the target phone such as messages (texts, WhatsApp and other messaging apps), phone calls, browsing history, and GPS location. mSpy is easy to use but also has many advanced features including social media monitoring, keylogger, no-jaibreak version, parental controls and more.
- Social Media Monitoring: mSpy tracks your child’s activity on Facebook, Snapchat, Hangouts, WhatsApp, and Skype.
- Keylogger: It records every keystroke made by the user. If your child uses an instant messaging app that mSpy can’t track directly, you can still see every keystroke typed.
- No Jailbreak Solution: The mSpy iPhone spy software allows you to spy on your child’s iPhone without jailbreaking it. This technique works by pulling data from iCloud backups. You will need to know your child’s Apple ID and password.
- Parental Controls: mSpy can be used as a parental control software for mobile phone. It allows parents to block inappropriate websites and incoming calls. In addition, you can control which apps can be used and when on your child’s phone.
mSpy is my pick for the best spy app for the iPhone. It’s easy to use, has lots of great features, and provides good customer service. One of my favorite features of mSpy is its no-jailbreak feature, which allows you to spy on an iPhone without jailbreaking it. If you are not tech-savvy, don’t worry. Their trained technicians will help you every step of the way.
- Price: mSpy Basic costs $29.99 per month; mSpy Premium costs $69.99 per month or $199.99 per year.
- Developer: Bitex Group LTD, a UK-based company founded in 2010.
- Visit their website: https://www.mspy.com, or read my review of mSpy.
#2 – Highster Mobile (Best Spy App for Android)
Want to spy on an Android phone? The easiest way to do it is using Highster Mobile — just download and install it onto the phone you want to spy on, enter your license key, and you’re all set. Couldn’t be simpler. There are no settings or options to configure. After installation, you can log into your account and start tracking.
Highster Mobile is the most affordable spy app I’ve tested, at $69.99 one-time purchase with no recurring fees. It doesn’t have as many features as mSpy, but it’s a great app for those who want to spy on an Android phone without rooting or unlocking the phone. It has most of the features you’re likely to need.
- Real-time GPS Tracking: Know where they are at all times and know where they are going. Track their cell phone location history & current location. Locations are displayed on a map on the company’s website.
- Text Message Monitoring: Read their text messages, even those that have been deleted. Keeps a running record of all text messages sent and received.
- View Call Logs: View the phone’s call history, including calls made, calls received, calls missed, phone numbers, and the date, time, and duration of the calls.
- View Photos: All of the photos on their phone will be uploaded to your account.
- View Browsing History: Track which websites they’ve visited and what they’ve searched for.
- View Contacts, Calendar & Apps: View their contacts, calendar entries and installed apps.
- Social Media Monitoring: Monitor different social media apps they use and who they talk to, including Facebook, WhatsApp, and even Snapchat messages. This feature, however, is only available on rooted devices.
If you’re looking for a low-cost spy app for Android, Highster Mobile should be at the top of your list. It’s competitively priced, offers many useful features, has a user-friendly web interface and it’s very easy to use, even for beginners.
Highster Mobile works with devices running Android 2.1 and up. I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4), a Motorola Moto Z (Android 6.0), and an HTC 10 (Android 6.0.1) and it worked fine on all of them.
- Price: It only costs a one-time fee of $69.99 – making it one of the cheapest spy apps on the market today.
- Developer: ILF Mobile Apps Corp, a US-based company founded in 2010.
- Visit their website: https://www.highstermobi.com, or read my review of Highster Mobile.
#3 – FlexiSPY
FlexiSPY is one of the most feature-rich and powerful cell phone spy software I’ve tested. It’s one of the very few spy apps to offer something called Call Interception, which lets you secretly record and listen into phone calls. The only catch is that you’ll have to root or jailbreak the target phone in order to install it.
If you’ve jailbroken their iPhone, or rooted their Android phone, you can take advantage of the FlexiSPY spy app. Once installed and configured, it runs in the background and silently records all user activity, including call recordings, call history, GPS, texts, emails, photos, social media and instant messages (Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.), and more. All the data collected can be viewed through a web-based portal or mobile app.
FlexiSPY has been around since 2006, and it’s still a popular spy app today. There are two versions: Premium and Extreme. FlexiSPY Premium offers everything you generally need from a phone spy app, but if you want more advanced features, the Extreme version might be what you need. Here’s what it does:
- Live Call Intercept: Intercept a phone call and listen in on the conversation.
- Record Phone Calls: Remotely record all phone calls they make and receive on their cell phone. All call recordings are uploaded to your FlexiSPY control panel as MP3s.
- Record Surroundings: Remotely activate the microphone on their phone and hear what’s really going on. You can also record their phone’s surroundings at any time. All recordings are uploaded to your FlexiSPY account.
- RemCam: Remotely activate the camera and take a secret picture to view the phone’s surroundings.
So should you use FlexiSPY? I would only recommend using it on a jailbroken iPhone or rooted Android. I tried to install it on a non-rooted Android phone, but it doesn’t work. If you’re new to cell phone tracking, and don’t want to root or jailbreak their phone, I highly recommend starting with Highster Mobile. In my opinion, FlexiSPY is the most feature-rich spy app available, but it’s also the most expensive. Make sure you NEED all the features before you spend the money.
- Price: FlexiSPY Premium version – $149, FlexiSPY Extreme version – $349 (1-Year License)
- Developer: Flexispy, Ltd. The company was founded in 2006, and is based in Thailand.
- Visit their website: http://www.flexispyapp.com, or read my review of FlexiSPY.
#4 – Hoverwatch
Hoverwatch is a spy app that tracks and records phone calls, texts, instant messages, locations and visited websites. If you are a parent who wishes to monitor the movements and communications of your child, Hoverwatch allows you to do so via a secure Web portal. The app’s interface is simple and intuitive. I tested it on my Android phone and it worked quite well.
Below are some of the key features and benefits you’ll get with Hoverwatch.
- Free Trial: Hoverwatch offers a free 3-day trial, so you can give the app a shot and see how it works yourself.
- Record Calls: Record and download phone calls from the monitored phone and listen to them anytime.
- Camera Tracker: Take photos of anyone trying to unlock the device.
- Capture screenshots: Remotely snap screenshots of the user’s device.
Hoverwatch costs $19.95 per month, but that’s a small cost to pay to remotely track your child’s location, monitor their social media, view their browsing history, read their instant messages, record their incoming and outgoing calls, and more.
The Hoverwatch app works on all Android devices running Android 4 and up. It also has desktop versions for Mac and PC.
- Price: Free to try; $19.95 per month or $99.95 per year.
- Developer: Refog Inc., a US-based company founded in 2002.
- Visit their website: http://www.hoverspyapp.com, or read my review of Hoverwatch.
#5 – PhoneSheriff
PhoneSheriff is a full-featured cell phone tracker that runs on iOS and Android devices. The app is easy to install and configure. It has all of the usual features you might expect from a cell phone tracker, including location tracking, remote locking, and the ability to record phone activities. It also comes with parental control features, which allow you to remotely control your child’s device usage.
- Block services: Block access to specific apps, websites, contacts and more. Restrict/Block messaging and calling services for specific contacts. Add numbers to whitelist and blacklist to allow and block them respectively.
- Create time restrictions: During certain times of the day (based on your specifications) you can block full access to the phone, or block all phone calls.
- Geo-Fencing Alert: Be alerted anytime the target device travels outside of a specific area you’ve designated on the map via your control panel.
- Profanity Alert: Set up keyword filters that alert you whenever a vulgar word (that you define) is input into the device.
If you’re looking for a professional cell phone tracking app that will help you protect your family, I think PhoneSheriff might just be the solution you’ve been searching for. It has more parental control features than any other tracking app. It lets you monitor your child’s activities, block specific apps, and set time limits.
Update: Due to legal issues, the hidden version of PhoneSheriff is no longer available for purchase. The app places an icon on the home screen of their phones and it will notify them that they are being monitored.
- Price: $49 for a 6 month subscription or $89 for a 12 month subscription
- Developer: Retina-X Studios, LLC, a US-based company founded in 2003
- Visit their website: http://www.phonesheriff.com
What You Need to Know Before You Buy
1. You must have access to the target phone. You’ll need to download and install the mobile spy app directly onto their phone, and you don’t need to install anything on your phone or computer. To install spyware app on an iPhone, the device must be jailbroken. Learn how to install the spy app on Android and iPhone.
2. You should also make sure that the spy app you’re interested in purchasing is compatible with the target phone and its operating system. Most hidden spy apps, like mSpy, MobiStealth, FlexiSPY, and Highster Mobile are compatible with both iOS and Android devices. The list of compatible devices can be found on the app company’s website.
3. Make sure that the target phone has an internet connection (either cellular or Wi-Fi). Internet access is required to download, install and activate the spy app.
4. You may need to root the target Android phone. Most spy apps work with both rooted and unrooted Android smartphones. However, some of the features, like instant messenger tracking and call interception, are only available on a rooted phone. If you want those features you’ll need to root their phone.
5. Check state and local laws before using a spy phone app. In the US, it is legal for companies to monitor the activities of employees on company-owned devices. Parents also have the right to monitor their children’s phone usage.
How To Get Started
Step 1: Buy a spy app
The first thing you need to do is buy a phone spy app. Always buy from a reputable company, and make sure the app you buy has the features you need. Once purchased, you will receive an email from the company with your login information and instructions on how to download the app.
Step 2: Download and install the spy app
Next, download and install the spy app on the phone you want to track. Once the app is installed, you can spy on the phone remotely through a web-based interface. It really is that simple.
Tip: In order to install the spy app on an iPhone, you must jailbreak the device. But if you can’t jailbreak (or don’t want to), you may try the mSpy without jailbreak solution which allows you to monitor iOS activities without a jailbreak.
Best Phone Spy Software: Conclusion
If you’re looking for an easy to use cell phone monitoring software, then mSpy is among the best on the market. If you’re looking for something a little more advanced than mSpy, I’d recommend checking out the FlexiSPY Extreme Version (you’ll have to root or jailbreak the phone first though). Highster Mobile doesn’t have quite as many features as FlexiSPY or mSpy, but it’s one of the most affordable spy apps I’ve ever seen.
Thank you for visiting my website and I hope you find what you are looking for. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact me.
Jack Gillman | www.bestphonespy.com
Last updated August 23, 2018.