Cell phone monitoring software, also known as cell phone spy, is used to monitor or record all activities occurring on a users mobile device. The activity logs can be accessed via a web-based interface.
Cell phone spy software allows parents to monitor the activities of their children’s smartphones, and employers may wish to use such software to track the whereabouts of their employees while using company-owned cell phones.
Before you purchase and install a cell phone monitoring software, you will have to do some homework and research. Here are four important things you must consider:
1. Compatibility: iOS or Android?
When choosing a cell phone monitoring solution, it is important to make sure that the software is compatible with the phone’s operating system. Almost all mobile spy software can only monitor iPhone and Android smartphones.
Check out five of our favorite spy apps for Android and iOS devices »
First, you need to find out what operating system (and version) the phone is running. Then go to the software vendor’s website and click on “Compatibility”, if your monitored phone is on the list of supported devices, then it means that it has been tested and proven to work.
If your monitored phone is not on the list, then it probably won’t work. You may need to contact the software vendor’s technical support and ask them if your phone is supported.
2. What features do you need?
If you want to spy on someone’s cell phone without them knowing, an invisible mode is a MUST. If you’ll need to spy on WhatsApp messages, instant messenger monitoring is a useful feature.
Cell phone monitoring software includes many features that can help you spy on iOS and Android phones effectively. Some of the features require you to jailbreak or root the monitored device, but there are many features that don’t require jailbreaking or rooting. Please read below for additional information.
- Jailbreaking. You’ll need to make sure the target iPhone is jailbroken before you can install and use a spy app. But please note that mSpy has recently released a new monitoring solution called “mSpy without Jailbreak” that enables you to spy on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch) without Jailbreaking. So if you don’t wish to jailbreak your phone, mSpy is a good choice. For more information, go to: www.bestphonespy.com/mspy-review/.
- Rooting. The spy app usually works with both rooted and unrooted Android phones, but some advanced features, such as call intercept and instant messenger monitoring, will not work if the phone is not rooted. Learn more on how to root an Android phone.
IMPORTANT: Rooting your phone may void its warranty. Before jailbreaking or rooting a device, be sure to create a backup of the device using iCloud/iTunes or Android Backup Service.
Customer support is a major factor that needs to be considered. Nothing is worse than purchasing software, and then encountering issues that you have to troubleshoot yourself. Ensure that the company has several ways for you to seek help from support. These options would include phone, live chat, and email. Technical Support may be needed to help troubleshoot issues, as well as ensure the software is installed correctly.
When buying a cell phone spy software, it is always good to come up with a list of questions. Email that list to the companies you are most interested in. This will help you evaluate the customer service that is offered by the spy software. Assess how long it takes for each company to get back to you. If it is taking longer than a few days, then you probably need to rethink your choices.
4. What is their refund policy?
You may make a purchase to find out that the spy app will not work on the monitored cell phone. The company may have it listed as a compatible device, but technology doesn’t always work the way we want it to. There are various reasons why this may occur, including network issues, hardware limitations and firmware versions. You want to ensure the company offers a money back guarantee, so you are not stuck with software that does not work.
Know Before You Buy
- The spy app CANNOT be installed remotely. Most spy phone software will require you to have the monitored device in hand during installation. To download and install the spy app on the monitored phone, you will need physical access to the phone for a few minutes. Beware of those that promise “remote installations”. Please keep in mind that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Internet connection required. An internet connection is required to download, install and activate the spy app. Also, the spy app requires an Internet connection (WiFi or mobile data) to upload captured data to the spy software website. If their phone loses Internet connection (e.g. airplane mode or out of range of a Wi-Fi network), the app will just save the captured data in the phone’s storage and upload them later when Internet is available. Learn more about how the cell phone spy system works.
- Is it legal? The short answer is yes. The cell phone spy software is legal as long as you install it on a phone you own yourself. If you install the software on a phone you do not own then you may be violating state and federal laws. If you’re an employer or you’d like to learn more, check out this article: Workplace Privacy and Employee Monitoring
Choosing the right cell phone spy software can be confusing and difficult. There are lots of companies who offer this service, and there are other factors that need to be considered. Use your common sense when shopping around. If it looks too good to be true then it most probably is.
One of the best ways to know if a spy software is legit, is if their website provides you with all the information you need to make an informative decision. Reliable companies will explain how the software works, the features it includes, compatibility, common questions, as well as any costs that are associated. Do your homework and find a company you can trust.
Thanks for reading. I hope you’ve learned something from this guide. If you have any questions just send me an email at email@example.com and I’ll be happy to respond. :).
Last updated July 27, 2017.