Hello and welcome to Best Phone Spy Reviews. My name is Jack Gillman and I’ve been in the spy software industry for almost 8 years. Over the years, I’ve tested quite a few cell phone spy apps, including mSpy, FlexiSPY, Mobile Spy, MobiStealth and Highster Mobile. I even used my credit card to pay for them – so you know which ones are the best spy apps.
Spy apps can be used to track a person without their knowledge. Worried about what your kids are up to on the internet? You could install a spy app on their smartphones. The app lets you monitor their social media, read their text messages, track their whereabouts, and even record their calls. All recorded data is stored online, so you can access it from anywhere.
5 Best Spy Apps for iPhone and Android
There are a lot of spy apps available for Android and iOS, but only a few are worth your time. I’ve tested more than 50 apps to help you pick the right one for your needs. Without further ado, here are the five best spy apps available right now:
Important: Every app listed below is 100% undetectable – the app runs in the background without the user’s knowledge. I personally tested all of them. They work great!
#1 – mSpy (Best Spy App for iPhone)
mSpy is one of the most popular cell phone monitoring apps with over one million users. It’s very easy to use. All you have to do is install the mSpy app on the target phone (the phone you are monitoring), then activate it using your product key. Once that’s done, you’ll be able to remotely monitor their activity through the mSpy online portal.
Once mSpy is activated, you can log in to the online portal to access information collected from the target phone such as messages (texts, WhatsApp and other messaging apps), phone calls, browsing history, and GPS location. mSpy is easy to use but also has many advanced features including social media monitoring, keylogger, no-jaibreak version, parental controls and more.
- Social Media Monitoring: mSpy tracks your child’s activity on Facebook, Snapchat, Hangouts, WhatsApp, and Skype.
- Keylogger: It records every keystroke made by the user. If your child uses an instant messaging app that mSpy can’t track directly, you can still see every keystroke typed.
- No Jailbreak Solution: The mSpy iPhone spy software allows you to spy on your child’s iPhone without jailbreaking it. This technique works by pulling data from iCloud backups. You will need your child’s iCloud login credentials.
- Parental Controls: mSpy can be used as a parental control software for mobile phone. It allows parents to block inappropriate websites and incoming calls. In addition, you can control which apps can be used and when on your child’s phone.
mSpy is my pick for the best spy app for the iPhone. It’s easy to use, has lots of great features, and provides good customer service. One of my favorite features of mSpy is its no-jailbreak feature, which allows you to spy on an iPhone without jailbreaking it. If you are not tech-savvy, don’t worry. Their skilled technicians will help you every step of the way.
mSpy is not only compatible with iOS and Android mobile devices, but also with Windows and Mac computers. You can monitor multiple devices under a single account.
- Cost: mSpy comes in three packages (Basic, Premium and Bundle kit) priced from $30 to $230
- Developer: Bitex Group LTD, a UK-based company founded in 2010.
- Visit their website: http://www.mspy.com
#2 – Highster Mobile (Best Spy App for Android)
Want to spy on an Android phone? The easiest way to do it is using Highster Mobile — just download and install it onto the phone you want to spy on, activate it with your license key and you’re ready to go. Couldn’t be simpler. There are no settings or options to configure. After installation, you can log into your account and start tracking.
Highster Mobile is the most affordable spy app I’ve tested, at $69.99 one-time purchase with no recurring fees. It doesn’t have as many features as mSpy, but it’s a great app for those who want to spy on an Android phone without rooting or unlocking the phone. It has most of the features you’re likely to need.
- Real-time GPS Tracking: Know where they are at all times and know where they are going. Track their cell phone location history & current location. Locations are displayed on a map on the company’s website.
- Text Message Monitoring: Read their text messages, even those that have been deleted. Keeps a running record of all text messages sent and received.
- View Call Logs: View the phone’s call history, including calls made, calls received, calls missed, phone numbers, and the date, time, and duration of the calls.
- View Photos: All of the photos on their phone will be uploaded to your account.
- View Browsing History: Track which websites they’ve visited and what they’ve searched for.
- View Contacts, Calendar & Apps: View their contacts, calendar entries and installed apps.
- Social Media Monitoring: Monitor different social media apps they use and who they talk to, including Facebook, WhatsApp, and even Snapchat messages. This feature, however, is only available on rooted devices.
If you’re looking for a low-cost spy app for Android, Highster Mobile should be at the top of your list. It’s competitively priced, offers many useful features, has a user-friendly web interface and it’s very easy to use, even for beginners.
Highster Mobile works with devices running Android 2.1 and up. I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4), a Motorola Moto Z (Android 6.0), and an HTC 10 (Android 6.0.1) and it worked fine on all of them.
- Cost: It only costs a one-time fee of $69.99 – making it one of the cheapest spy apps on the market today.
- Developer: ILF Mobile Apps Corp, a US-based company founded in 2010.
- Visit their website: http://www.highstermobi.com
#3 – FlexiSPY
FlexiSPY is one of the most feature-rich and powerful cell phone spy software I’ve tested. It’s one of the very few spy apps to offer something called Call Interception, which lets you secretly record and listen into phone calls. The only catch is that you’ll have to root or jailbreak the target phone in order to install it.
If you’ve jailbroken their iPhone, or rooted their Android phone, you can take advantage of the FlexiSPY spy app. Once the app is installed on their phone, it runs silently in the background and tracks their activity, including call recordings, call history, GPS, texts, emails, photos, social media and instant messages (Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.), and more. All the data collected can be viewed through a web-based portal or mobile app.
FlexiSPY has been around since 2005, and it’s still a popular spy app today. There are two versions: Premium and Extreme. FlexiSPY Premium offers everything you generally need from a phone spy app, but if you want more advanced features, the Extreme version might be what you need. Here’s what it does:
- Live Call Intercept: Intercept a phone call and listen in on the conversation.
- Record Phone Calls: Remotely record all phone calls they make and receive on their cell phone. All call recordings are uploaded to your FlexiSPY control panel as MP3s.
- Record Surroundings: Remotely activate the microphone on their phone and hear what’s really going on. You can also record their phone’s surroundings at any time. All recordings are uploaded to your FlexiSPY account.
- RemCam: Remotely activate the camera and take a secret picture to view the phone’s surroundings.
So should you use FlexiSPY? I would only recommend using it on a jailbroken iPhone or rooted Android. I tried to install it on a non-rooted Android phone, and it doesn’t work. If you’re new to cell phone tracking, and don’t want to root or jailbreak their phone, I highly recommend starting with Highster Mobile. In my opinion, FlexiSPY is the most feature-rich spy app available, but it’s also the most expensive. Make sure you NEED all the features before you spend the money.
- Cost: FlexiSPY Premium version – $149, FlexiSPY Extreme version – $349 (1-Year License)
- Developer: Flexispy, Ltd. The company was founded in 2005, and is based in Thailand.
- Visit their website: http://www.flexispyapp.com
#4 – iKeyMonitor
iKeyMonitor is a simple yet powerful spying app for iPhone. It records texts, instant messages and websites visited, and logs every keystroke, and then sends that information to your email. The app’s interface is simple and intuitive. I’ve tested it on my iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.1 and it worked like a charm. Note that iKeyMonitor is only available for jailbroken iOS devices.
Some of the key features and benefits of iKeyMonitor include:
- Free 3-day trial: iKeyMonitor offers a free 3-day trial so you can try before you buy.
- View every keystroke typed: Because its primary use is a keylogger, all forms of text messaging will be logged, no matter what app is used. You will receive all content that is exchanged over all instant messaging apps.
- Capture passwords entered: Every keystroke typed into the keypad of the monitored phone is logged—even passwords that are otherwise hidden from the user when typed. You can capture the username and password with iKeyMonitor.
- Capture screenshots periodically: Automatically takes a screenshot as the phone screen changes, and can be recorded as often as you like. This gives you the ability to see what web sites have been visited, or what apps have been used.
- Multi-language support: iKeyMonitor supports multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, and more. This setting can be found on the app’s interface.
If you’re looking for an app to monitor activity that takes place on an iPhone, iKeyMonitor might be the thing for you. With this app, you can view every single activity they perform.
iKeyMonitor works only on a jailbroken iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch running iOS 6.0 or later. You’ll need to jailbreak the device before you can install it.
- Cost: Free to try; $49.99 (1 month license); $299.99 (1-year license)
- Developer: Awosoft Technology CO, LTD, a UK-based company founded in 2008
- Visit their website: http://ikeymonitorapp.com
#5 – PhoneSheriff
PhoneSheriff is a full-featured cell phone tracker that runs on iOS and Android devices. The app is easy to install on the device you want to monitor. It has all of the usual features you might expect from a cell phone tracker, including location tracking, remote locking, and the ability to record cell phone activities. It also comes with parental control features, which allow parents to restrict access to certain apps and websites.
- Block services: Block access to specific apps, websites, contacts and more. Restrict/Block messaging and calling services for specific contacts. Add numbers to whitelist and blacklist to allow and block them respectively.
- Create time restrictions: During certain times of the day (based on your specifications) you can block full access to the phone, or block all phone calls.
- Geo-Fencing Alert: Be alerted anytime the target device travels outside of a specific area you’ve designated on the map via your control panel.
- Profanity Alert: Set up keyword filters that alert you whenever a vulgar word (that you define) is input into the device.
If you’re looking for a professional cell phone tracking app that will help you protect your family, I think PhoneSheriff might just be the solution you’ve been searching for. It has more parental control features than any other tracking app. It lets you monitor your child’s activities, block specific apps, and set time limits.
Update: Due to legal issues, the hidden version of PhoneSheriff is no longer available for purchase. The app places an icon on the home screen of their phones and it will notify them that they are being monitored.
- Cost: $49 for a 6 month subscription or $89 for a 12 month subscription
- Developer: Retina-X Studios, LLC, a US-based company founded in 2003
- Visit their website: http://www.phonesheriff.com
What You Need to Know Before You Buy
1. You must have access to the target phone. You’ll need to download and install the mobile spy app directly onto their phone, and you don’t need to install anything on your phone or computer. To install spyware app on an iPhone, the device must be jailbroken. Learn how to install the spy app on Android and iPhone.
2. You should also make sure that the spy app you’re interested in purchasing is compatible with the target phone and its operating system. Most hidden spy apps, like mSpy, MobiStealth, FlexiSPY, and Highster Mobile are compatible with both iOS and Android devices. The list of compatible devices can be found on the app company’s website.
3. Make sure that the target phone has an internet connection (either cellular or Wi-Fi). You must be connected to the internet to download the spy app. In addition, the app requires an internet connection to work.
4. You may need to root the target Android phone. Most spy apps work with both rooted and unrooted Android smartphones. However, some of the features, like instant messenger tracking and call interception, are only available on a rooted phone. If you want those features you’ll need to root their phone.
5. Beware of claims that sound too good to be true. Yes, the scammers are present in the cell phone spy software market, and they’re willing to make some very bold (and FALSE) claims to get you to buy. My best piece of advice is if it either sounds too good to be true, or is a feature you haven’t seen advertised before, be very cautious of dealing with that particular company. Stick with my top cell phone spy software recommendations above, based on my experience, these companies are the “cream of the crop”, and they all work as promised.
How To Get Started
Step 1: Buy a spy app
The first thing you need to do is buy a phone spy app. Always buy from a reputable company, and make sure the app you buy has the features you need. Once purchased, you will receive an email from the company with your login information and instructions on how to download the app.
Step 2: Download and install the spy app
Next, download and install the spy app on the phone you want to track. Once the app is installed, you can remotely spy on the phone from anywhere via a web-based control panel. It really is that simple.
Tip: In order to install the spy app on an iPhone, you must jailbreak the device. But if you can’t jailbreak (or don’t want to), you may try the mSpy without jailbreak solution which allows you to monitor iOS activities without a jailbreak.
Best Phone Spy Software: Conclusion
If you’re looking for an easy to use cell phone monitoring software, then mSpy is among the best on the market. If you’re looking for something a little more advanced than mSpy, I’d recommend checking out the FlexiSPY Extreme Version (you’ll have to root or jailbreak the phone first though). Highster Mobile doesn’t have quite as many features as FlexiSPY or mSpy, but it’s one of the most affordable spy apps I’ve ever seen.
Thank you for visiting my website and I hope you find what you are looking for. If you have any questions or need any help please contact me.
Jack Gillman | www.bestphonespy.com
Last updated October 21, 2017.